~ Welcome to Year 5 ~
Your Teachers are Miss Barry (5B, Year Group Leader), Miss East (5E) and Mr Lovell (5L). We are supported by Mrs McGinley (TA) and Mrs Edwards (cover supervisor). Our HTLA's responsible for PPA class cover are Mrs Cook (HLTA), Mrs Sharp (HLTA) and Mrs Walsh (HLTA).
Reading for at least 15 minutes each day, 5 times per week, will also be expected as part of your child's homework. It is important to support your child with daily reading as this has a huge impact on their understanding, imagination, creativity and learning across all subjects. In Year 5, it is important to do a mixture of independent reading, reading with an adult and for your child to independently record their opinions about the book in their Reading Record.
Homework is set weekly and due in the following week. Homework will usually consist of spellings and a piece of Maths homework. Occasionally, children may be asked to create a project to present in class.
Thank you for your continued support.
The Year 5 Team
~ Announcements ~
Parents please note:
- Swimming will begin Tuesday 18th April 2023. Children must wear their PE kit for the entirety of the school day.
- Winter OR Summer Uniform is allowed to be worn this time of year. Please ensure that your child is wearing either the Summer Uniform OR the Winter Uniform and NOT a mixture of both.
- Girls wearing the opened collared blouse are NOT permitted to wear normal school shirts with an unbuttoned collar.
- Please can you ensure that hair beyond shoulder length is tied back with hairbands that are simple in design and in school colours (Red, Blue, Yellow or Grey).
- Please be aware that the trip to The Tower of London is coming up on Wednesday 24th May 2023. Children will be expected to wear their school uniform but are welcome to wear comfortable footwear to deal with the cobbled streets inside The Tower. Children will be required to bring a packed lunch and we recommend children bring their lunch and a bottle of water in their PE bag, NO rucksacks. For those who are in receipt of Free School Meals, please let us know in advance if you want your child to have a packed lunch provided by the school so that we able to make provisions for lunches.
The Year 5 Teaching Team
~ Our Weekly Learning Focus ~
Week Beginning 22.05.23
In Writing this week, we will be writing a persuasive letter.
In Reading this week, we will comprehending events in our class text, 'Treason'.
In Mathematics this week, we will be adding and subtracting decimals.
In Religious Education this week, we will be understanding how Freedom comes with Responsibility.
In Science this week, we will be understanding life expectancy.
In Computing this week, we will looking at adding using binary coding.
In History this week, we will be visiting the Tower of London and learning about the Queens Behind Henry VIII.