Welcome to Year 1
This year, your teachers and TA's are:
1B - Mrs Brind, Mrs Watras and Mrs Perry
1D - Mrs Davies and Mrs Hubbard
1S - Mr Smith, Mrs Oliver (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Cantwell (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Year 1 is an important year. Your child will be following the new national curriculum. They will be following the whole school behaviour chart, where your child has an increased responsibility for their behaviour. At the end of each lesson your child will be expected to assess their learning using the self assessment charts. Your child will have a mixture of continuous provision (learning activities that the children choose which links to prior learning and our topic) and formal learning during the Autumn Term. From November 2018, all lessons will be taught as a whole class. There will be a continued focus on phonics as in June 2019, your child will take part in the Government Phonic Screening Test. Your child will flourish and become much more independent.
Week beginning 15th October 2018
This week we will be learning about:
- English- We will be recording facts about Crocodiles using the internet and books. Please help your child by encouraging them to do their own research about crocodiles. Can they find out what they like to eat and where they live?
- Maths- Number and place value - We will be using the whole, part, part model to find the total of two numbers. Please help your child by encouraging them to find the total of two amounts using items around the house.
- RE- Belonging - We will be thinking about the different groups that we belong to. Please help your child by discussing the different groups that go to and belong to.
- Science- We will be thinking about the signs of Autumn. Please help your child by encouraging them to look around them and discussing what the trees look like.
- Art - We will be creating a self-portrait. Please help your child by encouraging them to look carefully in a mirror and identifying the shapes that they can see when looking at their face.
- Computing - We will be thinking about writing a series of directional instructions for a partner to follow. Please help your child by allowing them to write some directions for you to follow.
- PE- Dance - We will be thinking about travelling using different body parts. Please help your child by encouraging them to think of 3 movements that they enjoy making and putting them together in a sequence.
- Geography - We will be creating an aerial view of the classroom. Please help your child by encouraging them to think about the different furniture that we have in the classroom.
Reminder - Phonics workshop Monday 15th October at 2pm. We look forward to seeing you there!