Welcome to Year 1
This year, your teachers and TA's are:
1B - Mrs Brind, Mrs Watras and Mrs Perry
1D - Mrs Davies and Mrs Hubbard
1S - Mrs Obende, Mrs Oliver (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Cantwell (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Year 1 is an important year. Your child will be following the new national curriculum. They will be following the whole school behaviour chart, where your child has an increased responsibility for their behaviour. At the end of each lesson your child will be expected to assess their learning using the self assessment charts. Your child will have a mixture of continuous provision (learning activities that the children choose which links to prior learning and our topic) and formal learning during the Autumn Term. From November 2018, all lessons will be taught as a whole class. There will be a continued focus on phonics as in June 2019, your child will take part in the Government Phonic Screening Test. Your child will flourish and become much more independent.
Week beginning 4th February 2019
This week we will be learning about:
- English- We will be thinking about the structure of non-fiction books. Please support your child by helping them to locate the contents page, heading, sub-heading, labels and captions in non-fiction books.
- Maths- We will be learning to count to 50 and recognising the place value of numbers. Please help your child by discussing how many tens and ones there are in a two digit number.
- RE- Special meals - We will be learning about the part of Mass where bread and wine is given out during the Holy Communion. Please help your child by discussing this with them.
- Computing - We will be thinking about being storytellers. We will be adding music and sound to our stories.
- PE- Gymnastics - We will be thinking about carrying equipment carefully and ensuring that we have enough space around us to perform actions. We will be balancing on a bench and travelling in different ways. We will start to link actions together.
- Science - We will be identifying and recording features of spring time. Please help your child by encouraging them to look for signs of Spring that are all around them.
- Design and Technology - We will be evaluating our boats and saying how we could improve them.
- History - We will be comparing cars from across the years. Please help your child by showing them photographs of cars through time and discussing differences between them. The children will be using vocabulary such as old, new and a long time ago.
Reminder - You are invited into class every Thursday between 8.40am and 8.55am to share a story with your child.