Welcome to Year 1
This year, your teachers and TA's are:
1B - Mrs Brind, Mrs Watras and Mrs Perry
1AD - Mrs Davies and Mrs Hubbard
1J - Miss Jones, Mrs Oliver (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Cantwell (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Year 1 is an important year. Your child will be following the new national curriculum. They will be following the whole school behaviour chart, where your child has an increased responsibility for their behaviour. At the end of each lesson your child will be expected to assess their learning using the self assessment charts. Your child will have a mixture of continuous provision (learning activities that the children choose which links to prior learning and out topic) and formal learning during the autumn term. From November 2017, all lessons will be taught as a whole class. There will be a continued focus on phonics as in June 2018, your child will take part in the phonics screen. Your child will flourish and become so much more independent.
This week we will be learning about:
- English- We will be creating booklets to encourage people to look after the environment. We will be using the suffix 'ing', question marks and exclamation marks.
- Maths- Division, length and height - At the beginning of the week we will be continuing to think about division and sharing equally. We will be dividing by 2, 5 and 10 and solving division word problems. . Towards the end of the week we will be looking at length and height, using the vocabulary long, longer, longest, short, shorter, shortest, tall, taller, tallest.
- RE- Changes - We will be thinking about Lent and how it is a time to look at the ways in which we can change and live our lives like Jesus. We will also be thinking about making a new start.
- Science- We will be thinking about how the rain water has effected the growth of our plants.
- Geography - We will be thinking about extreme weather and the effect it has on lives.
- Computing - We will be copying images of fish and other animals from the internet and pasting them into a Powerpoint presentation. We will be talking about using the internet safely.
- PE- Gymnastics - We will be thinking about different ways of travelling and balancing, improving our core strength.
- Art- mixing colours. We will be creating a rainy day scene.