Welcome to Year 1
This year, your teachers and TA's are:
1B - Mrs Brind, Mrs Watras and Mrs Perry
1AD - Mrs Davies and Mrs Hubbard
1J - Miss Jones, Mrs Oliver (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Cantwell (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Year 1 is an important year. Your child will be following the new national curriculum. They will be following the whole school behaviour chart, where your child has an increased responsibility for their behaviour. At the end of each lesson your child will be expected to assess their learning using the self assessment charts. Your child will have a mixture of continuous provision (learning activities that the children choose which links to prior learning and out topic) and formal learning during the autumn term. From November 2017, all lessons will be taught as a whole class. There will be a continued focus on phonics as in June 2018, your child will take part in the phonics screen. Your child will flourish and become so much more independent.
This week we will be learning about:
- English- We will be creating posters and booklets to encourage people to look after the environment. We will be using the suffix 'ing' and question marks.
- Maths- Counting in 2's, 5's and 10's. This week we will be counting in multiples of 2's, 5's and 10's and linking this to times table facts and using the 'x' to represent 'groups of' and 'lots of'. We will be using arrays to help use work out our times table facts.
- RE- Special Meals. We will be thinking about a special prayer that is said before a meal.
- Science- We will be thinking about the weather associated with the different seasons.
- Geography - We will be thinking about the weather and finding weather patterns associated with the different seasons.
- Computing - We will be looking at images that show different signs of Spring using the internet. We will search for photos of sheep, lambs, daffodils and bluebells as well as children's own ideas linked to Science. We will be talking about using the internet safely.
- PE- Gymnastics - We will be thinking about different ways of travelling and balancing, improving our core strength.
- Art- mixing colours. We will be mixing red and yellow to create a sunset.